Wednesday 23 September 2009

First pasta post!

I've been meaning to set up a food blog for ages. Now I've done it I've actually managed to pick a really bad time. I've just had my second child and any time when I'm not carrying an increasingly heavy newborn around or encouraging my four year old to pick up her toys (or not pick up the cat) I'm trying to cook something for me, my husband and the cat menacer that has some vague nutritional content, at a time when it is much more preferable to call Dominos or eat toast - again! I should be trying to cook something not writing about what I'm not cooking! I kind of think that maybe the two will go hand in hand, and that by writing about food, I can find my way back to it again. I like cooking, in fact I find it very relaxing as long as no one tries to help me (they can observe, they can pass me wine or grate parmesan) but they interfere at their peril. My husband - M - knows this all too well! Actually, I'm also no fun in the kitchen if M tries to cook. In fact I think I am a culinary bully. If M is cooking I usually leave the kitchen, it is better for our relationship that way. My sister and my foodie friend are the same too - interestingly they are also the only two people who I will let help me cook.

So what am I cooking today? Well I'm not, I'm re-heating the remains of a bolognese sauce I made a few weeks ago and froze. It is definitely a bolognese and not a purist ragu and it will be accompanied by whatever pasta we have in the cupboard. I haven't cooked it from scratch, it's about as authentically Italian as the frozen pizza we had for lunch (!) but it is homemade, comforting, counts toward your five a day and even got a thumbs up from the cat menacer (what does she know she's four!). Hey, it's a start.

2 comments: